Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 Farewell and 2015 Welcome

The ball is dropping and the New Year is just a blink away.  That means it's time for a look back on 2014, right?  Here's my little tribute to the year.

I've probably said it about a dozen, or maybe a hundred, times already, but if you were hiding under a rock and didn't see it all over my Facebook page, my top 3 reads of 2014 were:

#3

#Nerd by Cambria Hebert
#Nerd was a fun read for me.  I never went to college, and I think that is why I love reading college based stories.  I've been a fan of Cambria Hebert's for a while now, but #Nerd is my absolute favorite.  Now this isn't a term that I have ever used before, but I am totally "fangirling" over this story.  I bought the t-shirt and the hoodie to go with it.  I'm a 20-something in a 40+ year old's body.  Deal with it.  ;)  Rimmel is the school nerd.  Romeo is a total player...both on and off the football field.  He is the star and every girl wants him, except Rimmel.  And then she is forced to tutor him and they both learn who the other really is and maybe a little something about themselves too.

Cambria didn't originally plan on making this a series, but in a few weeks, #Hater, the follow-up to #Nerd will be available and I can not wait!
(Note:  the links will take you to the purchase option on Amazon.)


#2
Beauty in the Ashes by Micalea Smeltzer
Beauty in the Ashes is a story like no other.  It will tug at you.  At times you'll find yourself getting angry and tense.  You will wonder what Micalea is doing to these characters.  How can she write this?  I know that it was not easy for her to write, but I beg you to stick with it and see where she takes you.  Your heart will break but in the end, I think it will soar.  You will see that there really can be beauty in the ashes.  Just when you think all is lost, hope will emerge.


#1
Wynn in Doubt by Emily Hemmer


What can I say about Wynn in Doubt  that I haven't said already?  I think my review was the longest I had ever written.  What I felt reading this story can not even be described.  Even writing this now, I find that I have tears in my eyes.  This story touched me in ways you can not even begin to imagine and it is my hope that it touches others the same way.  This is a story about life and taking chances.  It is about going back while moving forward.  In a way, it's about second chances - giving them and taking them.  It's about living!  I loved this book so much and not only is it my favorite of 2014, but it's one of my all time favorites.  I hope you will read it and love it as I did.


I really read so many great books this year that there are just too many to rank after these top 3.  I'll try to aim for a top 5 for 2015, but I'm not promising anything.  These three just really stood out for me.

2014 introduced me to many new authors.  Just to name a few:
Audrey Carlan
J.M. Witt
Regina Bartley
Harper James
C.M. Doporto
D. Kelly (although technically she first contacted me in Dec. 2013, but I didn't read her until 2014)
Ella Jade
L.A. Cotton
T.K. Leigh

I'm sure there were many more, and I am very much looking forward to meeting many new authors in 2015.  I will never stop reading.

I also attended my first (and so far only) signing event (as a fan) when I went to Indie Girl in South Carolina back in February, where I was able to meet a few of my favorites in person...Lacey Weatherford, Belinda Boring, Cambria Hebert, Micalea Smeltzer.  It was a fun weekend and I made some wonderful new friends.  Hopefully I'll be able to attend another event in 2015, but right now, there is nothing booked.

So, I hope you all had a wonderful 2014 and I'm looking forward to sharing so many new books with you in 2015.  I hope you'll stick around.

Happy New Year!!





1 comment: